Its that time of year when many runners fall out of their routine and gradually slip in to a running slump without even realising it.
We go away on vacation to enjoy ourselves and relax a little but don’t let it rouin your routine. It may be tempting to put training on hold in the holidays but it can easily lead to even more stress and guilt which is what no one needs at this time of year.
So here are some tips to keep your mind and body in the game:
- Plan your runs in advance. Look at your schedule for the week and write them in. Having it in your planner makes it more likely to happen.
- Focus on maintaining your current fitness level rather than improving it during the holidays. Running three days a week for even 20 to 30 minutes will maintain your current fitness level, relieve stress, and give you more time for holiday obligations.
- Shorten your runs. Something is better than nothing! Some running is better than no running at all so rather than eliminate a run completely, cut it short. Base your mileage on the time you have available.
- Substitute intensity for duration. When there is no time for a long run, speed up the pace for a short run. This will increase the effectiveness of a short run.
- Go with the flow! Be flexible with your runs. Try running at different times of the day so it can fit into your schedule.
With those tips in mind, enjoy your holiday, relax, unwind and keep running.